The Community Foundation of WNC
Mission: The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina inspires philanthropy and mobilizes resources to enrich lives and communities in Western North Carolina.
Vision: The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina’s vision is a vibrant 18-county region where all people can find opportunity and enjoy the region’s many resources.
The Community Foundation is a nonprofit organization established in 1978 to build a permanent pool of charitable capital for the 18 counties of Western North Carolina. We work with individuals, families and corporations to create and manage charitable funds and make grants to nonprofits or public agencies in our region.
We manage $247 million (March 2016) in assets with a long-term investment strategythat permanently protects and grows these funds. In partnership with fundholders, the Foundation has awarded more than $180 million in scholarships to students and grants to nonprofit organizations and public institutions across our 18-county region and beyond.
What We Do
- Work with donors to create charitable funds according to their specific interests and needs
- Inform donors about critical issues and match them with giving opportunities
- Responsibly manage the charitable assets in our care
- Make grants and provide support to nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations and public agencies for improving communities in our region
- Encourage and participate in community initiatives and partnerships
- Build awareness of the importance of philanthropy