Offered by Va Boyle from Green Living Ideas
We all know that plastic waste is becoming an acute problem on land and in our oceans. While many people aspire to a zero-waste lifestyle, suddenly removing every morsel of single use plastic from your daily routine isn’t easy!
Conventional wisdom says women don’t negotiate as much as men do.
A nonprofit, nonpartisan, non-advocacy organization headquartered in the heart of ‘Climate City’ Asheville, North Carolina. The Collider is an innovation center focused on catalyzing market-driven climate solutions.
Institute for Women’s Policy Research: Women Candidates; the Cost of Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Building Women’s Political Careers: Strengthening the Pipeline to Higher Office. Women Candidates: How to Win the Next Time Around. A record number of women are seeking elective office in 2018.
Sent in by Diane Amos July, 2018
• North Carolina: It’s truly astonishing how relentless North Carolina Republicans are in their ceaseless zeal to undermine democracy. This week, they called a blitzkrieg legislative session where they swiftly advanced two more measures to entrench their power by unfairly and arbitrarily tilting the playing field to their benefit.
Direct Action, Educating, Lobbying, Coalition Building – General Even Year Activities (mid-session Jan – Apr & short session May – July):
- Constructs lobbying campaign to secure bill sponsors, co-sponsors for long session.
- Develops legislative surveys.
- Organizes plans to expand action teams.
- Concentrates on ERA awareness building in the general population.
- Formulates education campaign for legislators and general public.
- Develops training materials for internal structure and legislative processes.
SheVille proudly presents those who support our Western North Carolina communities and enhance the economic viability of our region. We are committed to local shopping,because it’s the greener way to go and it bolsters the economy of Western North Carolina. Our individual sponsors contribute their resources to our local non-profit programs as well, that help all of us live better, more fulfilled lives. WNC is home to a fantastic network of small businesses and we’re proud to support the great products and services they offer. Please note: all of our business advertisers support SheVille’s mission.
Sales agent Shumitra Chaudhari in the shop she has recently opened selling clean energy and beauty products in Kailali District, Nepal (Photo: Ashden)
Globally, women are more affected by climate change. Sweden’s deputy prime minister and the head of the Green Climate Fund say they must be brought into the discussion
Gender often remains the untold story behind climate change. After the television snapshots of devastation wrought by climate-induced disasters, our thoughts often remain with the local people forced to deal with the wreckage.
The recent “Unite the Right” events in Charlottesville saw the mobilization of violent individuals by organizations working to exploit hate and fear in an effort to advance white supremacy. The emboldened white nationalist movement in the United States requires redoubled efforts to address racism in America in all its forms, from structural racism and inequitable public policies, to outright terror.
The Equal Rights Amendment was front and center on the national stage this week with Notre Dame women’s basketball coach Muffet McGraw’s awesome response to the reporter who asked her about the importance of women’s leadership in sports. The video, which has since gone viral, starts out with a major callout to the ERA:
“Did you know that the Equal Rights Amendment was introduced in 1967 and still hasn’t passed? We need 38 states to agree that discrimination on the basis of sex is unconstitutional,” said Notre Dame’s Muffet McGraw.
NCLCV Releases 2018 Environmental Legislative Scorecard
Where did legislators rank on North Carolina’s environmental priorities in 2018?
A linguist explains how Trump uses lies to divert attention from the “big truths.”
President Donald Trump has hacked the media.
As Vox’s Ezra Klein argued recently, the press is in a lose-lose situation — and we all know it. Trump thrives on opposition, and often the media plays right into his hands, feverishly chasing every lie and half-truth he utters or tweets.
By the Editors of The CUT from Apple News Spotlight Photo portfolio by
Women and Power isn’t a series about women’s empowerment. It’s a series about women and their relationship to power — how they get it, how they lose it, how they wield it, what they sacrifice for it, and, ultimately, what they hope power will help them achieve. It’s divided into four chapters that will be published on the Cut throughout the week. Click here to read more about the project and the women who participated.
The United States has exported a third of its recyclables to China for many years without any issues. It worked well. Americans like to recycle and China wanted the materials to feed their manufacturing base. However, beginning in 2013, China began to make a series of policies shifts to reduce the amount and types of recyclable materials into their country.
If there was ever a doubt about the strategic nature of data, it should be long gone now. Facebook has made a public spectacle of what happens when you get your data strategy wrong. An early read on four macro-level lessons Facebook teaches us about data strategy is provided below. An article is sent in by Mark Blessington
What are keywords, and why do you need to bother?
Keywords can be practically any word that you put up on your website except the grammatical articles and other connector words. The reason that you care is that keywords determine how people can find things on the web.
SheVille.org can assist you in reaching your target market to grow your business
– Day or night, 24/7, between 2,500 and 4,500 readers are actively viewing the SheVille.org site and over 37,000 new visitors access SheVille every month.
– Over the past year, SheVille has received over 5,000 page visits daily with over 500 new visitors each day. At times we reach daily traffic of almost 14,000 page visits with traffic from over 1,700 new visitors. The result has been a monthly average of over 37,000 new visitors to SheVille every month. With premium ad placement locations available, some banner ads can expect to be served over 1 million times in the first six months.
– “Women make over 85% of the consumer purchase decisions and influence over 95% of total goods and services purchased.” (Dawn Billings)
– Our readers are predominantly women who are interested in services, products and events in Western North Carolina.
– Two-thirds of our readership are from the southeast U.S., people interested in WNC and often interested in vacationing here or relocating. They want to know about local places and people…You!
– You won’t find a more affordable advertising option than SheVille. With ads starting at just $110 per year, there is no other magazine that connects you with as many readers as SheVille does for the price.
In addition to inspiring our readers and being a valuable resource for community interests in the WNC area, SheVille can help you develop a broad web marketing presence at a very affordable rate. SheVille can assist you in reaching your target market. For more information email Rain ~ email@example.com
STAFF READ OF THE WEEK – Our Executive Director, Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, writes about building a new model of grassroots funding in the South
When we launched the Campaign for Southern Equality (CSE) in 2011, my living room became our “office”, no one was getting paid, and almost every foundation we approached turned us down, either because they didn’t fund LGBTQ work or because they thought our primary strategy at the time – winning marriage equality in the South by 2016 – was laughable.
A PREDATORY MODEL that can’t be fixed: Why banks should be kept from reentering the payday loan business
By the Progressive Blog Policy Watch
[Editor’s note: In the new Washington, D.C. of Donald Trump, many once-settled policies in the realm of consumer protection are now “back on the table” as predatory businesses push to take advantage of the president’s pro-corporate/anti-regulatory stances. A new report from the Center for Responsible Lending (“Been there; done that: Banks should stay out of payday lending”) explains why one of the most troubling of these efforts – a proposal to allow banks to re-enter the inherently destructive business of making high-interest “payday” loans should be fought and rejected at all costs.]
Banks once drained $500 million from customers annually by trapping them in harmful payday loans. In 2013, six banks were making triple-digit interest payday loans, structured just like loans made by storefront payday lenders. The bank repaid itself the loan in full directly from the borrower’s next incoming direct deposit, typically wages or Social Security, along with annual interest averaging 225% to 300%.
- THINGS TO DO
- EVENTS CALENDAR
- WHO WE ARE
- BUSINESS DIRECTORY