Hiring: Editorial Co-Founder
ATTN: This role is intended as a part-time, impact-driven side project, with you as a founding member. It’s an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a media business, helping to build the kind of business you always wanted to work at.
SheVille (SheVille.org) is a brand and online community covering news about women’s lives & health, local community, business & finance, the arts, sustainability & the environment. SheVille’s featured articles focus attention on current progressive news about policies that impact women and families within the context of racial, gender, educational, and economic issues with special attention in the area of social justice.
We’re seeking a smart, savvy, passionate & progressive editorial co-founder to become the defacto Editor-in-Chief of the SheVille brand and all owned platforms (web, email, and community.)
The current co-founders bring more than 30 collective years of business, tech, product, digital marketing, content strategy & SEO experience. Together, with your editorial, copywriting & community building expertise, we’ll build a ‘women’s interest’ brand that ‘goes deeper’ than what is typically offered, exploring the many wonderful & varied aspects of identifying as a female.
We believe that bad behavior on the part of businesses disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, women, and LGBTQ people. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work Sheville does, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
- A passion for progressive women’s and equality causes.
- Relevant experience at a publication or digital media company where you acted as both a manager and mentor
- Experience directly writing & editing 2-3+ stories per day (original content, trending pieces, and updates)
- Experience hiring, managing & scaling a team of freelance writers/journalists
- Experience managing the conceptualization, pitching, and executing of forward-thinking and disruptive feature stories
- A desire to grow these skills on your own terms, with a brand you (co-)own.
Please note that this is not a marketing role.
Ultimately, the right candidate will define the responsibilities of this role as a co-owner of the brand/business. These are the 2 major components we envision for this role:
1) Lead the Editorial Vision for SheVille.
- Help define & articulate everything from the categories we’ll write about to the individual articles within them.
- The primary platforms, to start, will be the website (https://sheville.org), the weekly email newsletter, and the usual social media channels, but this is likely to evolve over time in part due to your vision.
2) Build, Manage & Scale the Plan to Execute that Vision.
- Your role as head of editorial means that you’ll lead the plan, budget, processes & team to make your editorial vision happen, along with the other co-owners & stakeholders. To start, you’ll also directly write and copyedit your own contributions and the contributions of others.
- You will be expected to build a community of content contributors along with the processes that will ensure quick delivery of quality content. We are expecting a fairly high volume of content to flow through your hands. All content will need to be published quickly while maintaining the high standards of our brand. All content will be based on facts to the best we are able to verify.
- We’ll work hand-in-hand to define advertising & sponsorship requirements and functionality that align with the brand & editorial vision.
Business Stage: Live, but in strategy & planning mode.
Project Type: Passion/side project; not currently the main source of income for existing founders.
Role Seniority: Executive
Funding Stage: Self-funded / Bootstrapped. NOTE: Financial contributions are not required for this role. As a co-owner, compensation is based on company earnings, not a salary.
Role Location: Anywhere, but ideally in American timezones for ease of communication.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]