Homeward Bound WNC
We launched a new homelessness prevention program in January 2018, designed to help individuals and families stay in their rental units when they have no other housing options.
Why should I care about homelessness?
- Ethically, practically, and financially, ending it makes our community a better place.
- When we end homelessness, we see resources freed up to meet other needs, local businesses and tourism faring better, and our neighbors restored to lives of wholeness and dignity.
- It’s a public health problem. People who are homeless often have to relieve themselves outside. They lack access to health care and often have chronic illnesses, made worse by tough living conditions: sleeping outside in all weather, eating low-quality foods, and being in close quarters with unhealthy people.
- Homelessness is an economic problem. People without housing consume a lot of public resources and generate expense for the community. In our tourism-driven economy, homelessness can be a deterrent to downtown visitors.
- Homelessness is a human problem. Our own neighbors live in tents and under bridges, vulnerable to inclement weather and violence, stripped of dignity and our collective respect. At Homeward Bound, we believe a safe, decent, and affordable home is a basic human right. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT HOW YOU CAN HELP